The HCC is a statutory consultee on planning applications for Helensburgh, which are lodged with Argyll & Bute Council. The HCC Planning Group will assess each application and decide whether or not to make representations of support or objection on them to the Council.
- Assess planning applications against Scottish Planning Policy, A&BC’s Local Development Plan (2015) and associated Supplementary Planning Guidance, Sustainable Design Guidance (2006), resident views, other official sources and recognised material considerations.
- Use the HCC’s own “Helensburgh Design and Landscape Statements” in deciding whether an application demonstrates design excellence and integrates well with the local landscape.
- Represent to A&BC the expressed views of local residents on specific applications.
- Where appropriate to attempt to facilitate meetings between residents/objectors and applicants to arrive at a conclusion acceptable to both parties.
Way of Working
A. The Planning Group has full delegated powers to make formal representations to A&BC on behalf of the HCC and other bodies/individuals when responding to particular applications unless :
- There are over 10 objections (number required to trigger a PPSL hearing) to a particular application
- It is a major application of importance to Helensburgh as a whole
- There is a significant difference of opinion within the community
- The Group’s proposed HCC response differs from that of residents
- There is no consensus within the Planning Group
In these instances the response has to be agreed by the full HCC at a scheduled
meeting. When this is not possible then by the HCC Executive, or at a special HCC
meeting, whichever is most appropriate.
B. Specifically the Group will :
- Consist of up to 7 Community Councillors
- Appoint its own Convenor and Secretary, arrange its own meetings and issue minutes
- Co-opt expert outside assistance as required
- Notify all Community Councillors of A&BC’s List of Weekly Planning Applications.
- Advertise its meetings to all Community Councillors.
- Create a case file for each application it responds to
- Make monthly reports to full HCC meetings
C. Group meetings are open to Community Councillors to attend.